Announcements for February 28, 2020
2/24—Activity Schedule, 1:36 out
- Calling all Winter athletes! The winter sports awards night is this upcoming Monday, March 2nd at 6:30pm in Harvey Auditorium. If you are a winter sports athlete, please bring your parents and attend the awards on Monday night.
- Are you interested in helping your community? Do you need community service hours? If so, consider donating blood at the next blood drive! Each blood donation saves up to three lives! The spring blood drive is coming soon on Monday, March 16th all day in the SAB. You must be at least 16 years old to donate. Pick up a permission slip in the SAB.
- Seniors—Grad Nite tickets go on sale all next week beginning Monday, March 2nd! This year we are going to Universal Studios on Friday, May 15th! The cost is $125 cash only and you must turn in a permission slip when you buy your ticket. Start planning who you want to sit next to on the bus and be sure to buy your tickets at the same time as your friends. Again, Grad Nite tickets will be on sale March 2nd-6th by the cafeteria during 5th lunch only. Permission slip packets are in the SAB.
- Attention all 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students! Do you want to get more involved at BHS? Do you want to help plan the rallies, dances, and school activities? Then join Student Council! Come to the election meeting on Monday, March 9th during 4th or 5th lunch in the SAB. Election packets and candidate applications will be given out at this meeting. All election papers are due by March 18th.
- Seniors--Completing your FAFSA is such an important step for your future! Even if you're not sure college is in your plans for next year, if you're going into the military, or if you think you won't qualify, it is still important to complete the financial aid application. It takes less than 45 minutes and we are here to help!! Please, please do not miss an opportunity to take advantage of free money, waived BC tuition, scholarships and grants. The deadline is March 2nd. Come by the College Center and see Mrs. Aguilar if you need help.
- Seniors—if you ordered a senior shirt in January, your shirts and sweatshirts have arrived! Please stop by the SAB during lunch or after school to pick up your shirt.
- Seniors—if you are planning to attend BC in the fall and are interested in becoming a BC Cheerleader, stop by the SAB to pick up additional information. BC cheer tryouts will take place March 30th through April 2nd.
- Senior Drillers listen up! Are you plugged into the latest and most important information coming from your Counseling Office? Have you completed your FAFSA? Do you need help with scholarships or job information? Please continually check your BHS Counseling Google Classroom for updates. All Grade levels: If you have not joined the Counseling Departments Google Classroom please stop by the College & Career Center for a class code and remember to check it often.
- Attention all Drillers—Yearbooks are currently on sale for $85 at the finance office! This year’s theme is “A New Perspective” and everyone is encouraged to pre-order a copy of the yearbook now before we sell out! We only have a limited number of books so get yours soon before the price goes up again on April 1st.
- This is a great year to learn about the political process and ways to get involved. If you are interested in learning about politics from a different perspective and want to get involved in campaigning for local Republican candidates, come to one of our BHS Young Republicans Club meetings held on Thursdays in Ludden Hall 102 during both lunch periods. Ask about joining our Remind.
- Boys tennis has started. Please be sure to be cleared on sports net with your physical by this date - otherwise you will be unable to participate. Contact Coach Maiocco in the PE office if you have any questions!
- Are you interested in playing OVERWATCH for BHS? We are now offering free Overwatch accounts at BHS. If you want to represent BHS in the new E-sport league in Kern County, then come join us in room IA 220 and sign up and be part of the largest E-sport program in the United States.
- Attention Seniors! Check with your Econ/Govt teacher to make sure we have your correct name on file for your diploma. If you need to make any changes, please see Ms. Madi in the Registrar’s office.
- Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors...if you believe that your semester grades qualify you for CSF, please stop by Ludden 201 and see Mr. Holliday.
- If you currently have textbooks checked out for classes you are no longer taking, please return them to the bookroom as soon as possible.
- Track & field has started. Please be sure to be cleared with your physical on sports net. We will be meeting on the track after school, and if you have any questions contact Coach Orozco in the PE office.
- Are you interested in competing in Los Angeles Brain Bee? Please come see Ms. Kim in Science 205 during 4th lunch or right after school.
- Attention all senior football players and water girls—your senior night pictures are here! Please stop by the SAB to pick them up.
- Do you still have a VHS player, well you are in luck. The library is getting rid of hundreds of VHS tapes. Stop by the library and take some videos home. They are located behind the picture books in row 1.
- If you missed the fall sports awards night on December 9th, please come by the SAB to pick up your certificates, pins, letters, and plaques. The SAB is open before school, at lunch or during passing periods, and after school.
- Get ready for Spring Sports--January will be here before you know it! You must create a sportsnet account and register online with a current physical. We have Baseball, Softball, Swim and Diving, Boys Tennis, Boys Golf, Track and Field--Information is available in the SAB. Pre Conditioning begins January 2nd, Practice begins January 13th. You must be cleared on Sports Net Online to participate and have at least a 2.0 or better GPA.
- Beginning November 12th the Administration Parking Lot on G Street will be Staff Parking by Permit Only with the exception of the designated visitor and handicap parking spots. Staff, if you have not yet received your Staff Parking Sticker, please see Amber in the Admin Office by this Friday. All Students must park in either the north IA parking lot or the senior parking lot. Also, please be advised that red, no parking has been put in place on the excess curbing in the administration parking lot. Parking in a no parking area is prohibited.
- Free Books - The library has free nonfiction books on a variety of topics. Come by the library on the second floor of Spindt Hall and look through the carts at the front entrance. Take the books home; they are yours to keep.
- Do you ever find yourself in need of a writing utensil? The library has vending machines on the front counter with pencils, mechanical pencils, erasers, gel pens, and stylus pens. There are also pencil and eraser vending machines in the front office next to the reception desk. The vending machines take quarters and you can ask the librarian for change.
- Buy your ASB sticker and get in free to ALL athletic events for the year! That’s right! For one low price of only $20 you can get in free with an ASB sticker to all sporting events at all Kern High schools. ASB stickers can be purchased in the finance office during lunch. Our first home football game is this week so get your sticker now and save money all year!
- Being a teenager is hard enough, let alone being a teen parent. Are you a teen parent? Going to be a teen parent? Do you know someone who is pregnant or already a teen parent? If you answered "yes", please contact Ms. Pacheco in the Dean's Office to find out about our "BABE" teen parent support group.
- A quick message from your devoted counselors! We are creating Google Counseling Classrooms for each grade level and plan to load you up with great information over the course of this year. Please check your Kern High email account for an invitation from us. You have to accept the invitation in order to start getting information. If you haven't received an invitation yet, you will!
- Good news! The electronic version of the request to see counselor forms are available again. This is the BEST way to get a request in to see your counselor if you aren't in immediate personal crisis. The forms can be found on the BHS website under the "Counseling" tab. Just click on "Counselors," look for your assigned counselor, and fill out the electronic form link that is under their name. The forms go immediately to your counselor's email and they will call you in as soon as possible.
- After School Tutoring has begun! Where? In the Library. What time? From 3-4pm. English and Math tutoring is available Monday through Thursday, Science is available on Tuesday and Thursday, Spanish language tutoring is now on Wednesdays, and French tutoring will be on Thursdays. Beyond tutoring, the library will be open until 5pm Monday through Thursday - just so you have a space to do your work.
To add your announcement, please visit the BHS webpage, click on the “About” tab, then click on “Bulletin Request”