Announcements for Friday, May 24, 2019
EARLY OUT DATES:\
5/24—Minimum Day Schedule, 12:41 out
5/27—No School for Memorial Day
- Attention Drillers!! We only have a few yearbooks left! Yearbooks will be on sale in the finance office at lunch or after school for $90 each.
- Seniors—If you are going to Grad Nite tonight, check in will begin at 6:30pm in the cafeteria. Don’t be late! Buses are leaving at 7pm. Remember to follow the Magic Mountain dress code—pick up an extra copy of the dress code in the SAB. No food or drinks including water bottles are allowed. You will be given water once you get on the bus and dinner in the park when you get there.
- Seniors—the Senior Sunset BBQ will be held next Tuesday, May 28th in Elm Grove from 6:30-9pm. This event is FREE if you sign up in advance in the SAB. Uncle’s BBQ will be there with free food and drinks as well as free snow cones! Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and fun backyard games. Again, you must sign up in advance if you’d like to attend. The deadline to sign up is today!
- Seniors—the annual Senior Breakfast and Hypnotist show will be held next Wednesday, May 29th in the cafeteria beginning at 7:30am. The cost is only $10 per person and includes your ticket to the hypnotist show. This is your last senior event for the year so don’t miss out! Today is the last day to purchase a ticket! Tickets are cash only and sold in the finance office with your BHS ID card.
- Seniors—please stop by the SAB to pick up your cap and gown either at lunch or after school only. If you still need a cap and gown or you need to adjust your size, please visit the Jostens office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3-6pm.
- Attention all 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students—if you did not receive your pictures from picture day in April, please check in the SAB during lunch or after school.
- All spring athletes—If you missed the awards night on Monday, you may pick up your pins, patches, and certificates in the SAB after school on Friday.
- Attention current juniors and sophomores: the BHS PE department will be offering an elective PE class next year designed specifically for you! The class which is titled, " Advanced Team and Life Sports," is designed for 11th & 12th grade students that want to remain active and focus on maintaining their fitness levels in a class that offers high levels of competition in team and partner sports. You must sign up by May 24 with Coach Chapman in the PE department.
- Seniors, GREAT opportunities for students not planning to go to college. The Industrial Automation program is a college course (actually a bachelors degree program) and they are looking for students to enroll. The core training's are for students who are graduating and they have to be 18. For more information visit the career center.
- Enroll in BHS' new Chicano/Latino literature class for next year taught by Mr. Celedon in Warren Hall 224. Are you interested in seeing literature from a different lens or perspective? Sign up in WH 224 with Mr. Celedon.
- Any Freshmen, Sophomores or Juniors interested in taking a Game Design class next year please come to room 220 in the IT building and sign up with Mr. Mathis. Again anyone interested in taking a Game Design Class Please see Mr. Mathis in IT 220.
- Attention ALL 10th grade students! Are you interested in authors such as Maya Angelou, Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison, and Tupac? Are you interested in topics such as identity, education, race, and power? African American literature is for you! If you are interested in taking an African American literature class next year, see your current 10th grade English teacher to sign up OR see Miss Thompson in Harvey 304 for details during lunch or after school.
- The library will be open 7:00-7:38a.m. May 6th through May 17th. The library will be closed during and after school for AP testing during this time. Library books can still be returned by placing them into the book return slot outside the library entrance doors. All library books are due Friday, May 24th. If you have questions, email Amanda Garza, Teacher Librarian.
- SAT Preparation - The Official SAT Study Guide Book is available for you to check out in the library. Visit the library before school to get your copy. EBSCO PrepSTEP on the Library webpage also offers free online test prep for SAT/ACT/AP Exams. See or email Mrs. Garza for details.
- The application for ROC Summer School will be open May 1st on the ROC website. Please visit roc.kernhigh.org to sign up. Students can apply May 1st through May 31st. Eligible students can be incoming Freshmen to incoming Seniors.
- Attention all Drillers! Have you noticed that you have received an invitation via your Kern High email to join the Bakersfield High Counseling Google classroom? Every student on campus has been invited. Please accept the invitation in order to receive all sorts of information on upcoming scholarship opportunities, test dates, college visits, and just about everything you need to know in the BHS counseling world. You won't regret it!
- Great news, Drillers! You can now submit requests to see your counselor electronically! Simply go to the BHS website and click on Counselors in the Counseling tab. The link to your counselor’s electronic form is under their name. Click, complete, and send! It’s as easy as that! We hope to eventually save some trees and do away with the paper forms.
- Cal-SOAP Rep Mrs. Layne is located in IT-103 for assistance with college applications, financial aid, or any questions or concerns with future goals.
All announcements are due by 1:00 pm the day prior to reading. To add your announcement, please click on the link below or visit the BHS webpage, click on the “About” tab, then click on “Bulletin Request”.