Announcements for Friday, October 19, 2018
EARLY OUT DATES:\
Monday, 10/22 - Activity Schedule - 1:38 pm dismissal
Monday, 10/29 - Activity Schedule - 1:38 pm dismissal
Wednesday, 11/1 - Reverse Minimum Schedule - 9:38 am
ACTIVITY / ATHLETICS DATES THIS WEEK:
Friday, 10/19 - JV/V Football @ Centennial
Saturday, 10/20 - Cross Country @ Mt. Sac Invite
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Four things you can’t recover: The Stone after the throw. The Word after it’s said. The Occasion after it’s missed. The Time after it’s gone.” ~ Unknown
- BHS E-sports will now be in IT 220, come check out our new lab and computers. Be apart of the BHS E-sport team as we play the other High schools for the Kern County Esport Trophy. For more information talk to Mr. Mathis.
- Senior Football, Cheer, Band, Colorguard, Student Trainers please see Mrs. Chaidez with your Thank You letters today in the SAB.
- A Vanguard University representative will be on campus on Thursday, October 25 during 5th lunch in the Elm Grove. Stop by his table to get more information about this private Christian university!
- A Mount Saint Mary University representative will be on campus on November 1 at 8:30 am in the Audio Visual Theater to talk about everything the university has to offer. If you are interested in attending, please sign up with the Guidance Tech in the Career Center/Counseling office.
- Freshmen and sophomores! Have you ever been a Safe School Ambassador? Have you heard of Safe School Ambassadors and thought that would be something you'd love to be a part of? Do you have a solid sense of fairness and empathy towards others? If so, you may want to join Bakersfield High's long standing SSA program! If interested, please contact Mrs. Alvidrez or Mrs. Lizaragga in the Counseling Office no later than October 30.
- Seniors! Do you have plans to attend Bakersfield College next year? Even if you don't, you should always have a good backup plan. Bakersfield College application workshops are coming! If you would like priority registration, attending all three workshops is the way to get it! The first workshop takes place November 1 in SH 207. There will be an additional first workshop on November 5. To sign up for either date, see the Guidance Tech in the Career Center/Counseling office.
- Cheer photos ordered from Carlos Murillo are in the SAB. Pick up during your free periods.
- Attention all 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students--If you did not take a picture last spring or you missed picture day in August, you must make up your picture on Wednesday, Oct. 24th during lunch in the lobby of Harvey Auditorium. This is the LAST CHANCE to take a picture for the yearbook!
- Red Ribbon Week starts on Monday! Wear Red this Monday to support our "Just Say No" campaign! Join in the fun next week by dressing up each day and visiting the Red Ribbon booth & activities during lunch in Elm Grove. Tuesday is "Drugs are Trash--trash bag Tuesday! Wednesday is Team up against Drugs--College Day. Thursday is "Drugs are Twisted--Crazy hair & mismatched day! And Friday is "Drillers are Drug Free--Blue and white day!
- The Fall Blood Drive will take place on Monday, Oct. 22nd all day in the SAB. You must be at least 16 years old and turn in a parent permission slip. Pick up a blood drive packet in the SAB. Permission slips are due back to the SAB by Friday, Oct. 19th. Give blood and save lives!
- Animation club will be host meetings on every Friday at Warren Hall 125.
- Adventist Health of Bakersfield is seeking volunteers for their Junior Volunteer Program. Must be 15 years old or older, 3.0 GPA or higher. Pick up application from Ms. Sanchez in Career Center.
- Senior Night Honors: October 26 V Liberty All Senior Football, Cheer, Mascots, Band and Color guard see Mrs. Chaidez in the SAB this week for information.
- National School Lunch Week is being celebrated in the cafeteria this week! The theme this year is “School Lunch, Lots 2 Love”. Visit the cafeteria and enjoy our new menu selections and be 1 of the 30 million students participating in school lunch daily across the nation!
- Senior Sweatshirts and T shirts have come into the SAB. Please pick them up during your passing periods, at lunch, before or after school.
- Want to get you and your friends into the Halloween spirit? Then work with the drama club to spread it around campus! Every Friday the drama club will be selling Halloween grams at the flagpole during both lunches. They will be $2 each and will include a black rose, candy, and the message you give to us. The drama club officers will be delivering them in costume to classrooms during 2nd period on October 30th. Help support the drama club and Happy Halloween!
- The Bakersfield College improv team will be collaborating with the drama club here at BHS to do an improv workshop every Monday for eight weeks from 3:00 to 4:30 in auditorium 101. To participate you must bring five dollars to the workshop on Monday. If you have any questions please stop by auditorium 101 and talk to Mrs. Brandon.
- ASB Stickers are on sale now in the finance office! New this year, ASB stickers will get you in FREE to all athletic events (except playoffs). ASB Stickers are only $20 – AND YOU GET IN FREE! That’s right, FREE! Please have your student ID card when you come to the finance office.
- Cal-SOAP Rep Mrs. Layne is located in IT-103 for assistance with college applications, financial aid, or any questions or concerns with future goals.
- Great news, Drillers! You can now submit requests to see your counselor electronically! Simply go to the BHS website and click on Counselors in the Counseling tab. The link to your counselor’s electronic form is under their name. Click, complete, and send! It’s as easy as that! We hope to eventually save some trees and do away with the paper forms. The electronic version is not only environmentally friendly, but much quicker.
- Juniors and Seniors: Do you like helping people? Would you like to make a big difference in someone’s life? Interested in education as a career? Join the I-TEACH class! We will be learning all about what it takes to be a teacher, we will tutor our own BHS students, and we will also tutor in an elementary school. Talk to your counselor about adding this class. You will be SO GLAD you did.
All announcements are due by 12:30 pm the day prior to reading.